Getting there and around
Shanghai has an extensive public transport network, consisting of buses, trams, metro and trains, as well as over 45,000 operating taxis.
Pudong International Airport (PVG)
Tel: + 86 (0) 21 96990
Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport (SHA)
Tel: + 86 (0) 21 6268 8899
Shanghai Pudong International Airport is the primary international airport serving Shanghai, China, and a major aviation hub in Asia. The other major airport in Shanghai, Hongqiao, mainly serves domestic flights.
Local time is GMT +8
Shanghai Pudong International Airport is situated 19 miles (30km) east of the city centre and located in the Pudong New Area, with easily accessible connections to the city centre by a Metro Line Subway system and the Shanghai Maglev high-speed train. Taxi’s are available and usually the most convenient way to the city, but they are more expensive. Journeys take an hour to most downtown areas. Public buses are also available, but they are only advised for hardened travellers. Many hotels meet their guests at the airport. There is a self-drive car hire service available during business hours, both Avis and Hertz have desks in Arrivals. Airport facilities consist of two terminal buildings with shops, restaurants, banks, ATMs and currency exchange, a post office, luggage storage, Business centre and an Internet Café. There are also two hotels located at the airport; Ramada Pudong Airport Hotel and JinjiangInn Pudong Airport Hotel.
- Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal is approximately 45 minutes by car from Shanghai Pudong International Airport
- A taxi from Pudong International Airport into Shanghai city centre is the most expensive mode of travel, however it is the most convenient way into the city. Journeys take approximately an hour to most downtown areas and cost approximately CNY 150-200
- Only enter a taxi if it has a logo light on the top of the car and be aware that each taxi operates under a different colour scheme:
- Dazhong (Cyan)
Tel: +86 (0) 21 96822
- Qiangsheng (Yellow)
Tel: +86 (0) 21 62580000
- Jinjiang (White)
Tel: +86 (0) 21 96961
- Bashi (Green)
Tel: +86 (0) 21 96840
- For further information on taxi’s, please visit the following website: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/shanghai/transportation/taxi.htm
- The airport is linked to Shanghai’s metro system with a magnetic levitation train, the Maglev. Service runs:
- From Pudong International Airport to Longyang road – change for metro line 2
- Daily from 0645hrs to 2140hrs
- Every 15-20 minutes
- Journey time: 8 minutes
- Fare: CNY 50 single fare
- Tel: +86 (0)21 28907777
- Website: http://www.smtdc.com/en/
Shuttle Bus Service
- Only take the shuttle bus service if you are a hardened traveller. There are 10 airport shuttle lines which run to downtown Shanghai and to nearby cities.
- Airport shuttle line 2 from Pudong Airport to City Air Terminal Building (Jing’an Temple metro) runs:
- Every 15 minutes from 0700hrs to 2300hrs.
- Journey time: aprox 50 minutes.
- Fare: CNY 22.
- Tel: +86 (0)21 6834 6612
- Airport line 2 from City Air Terminal to Pudong Airport runs:
- Every 15 minutes from 0530hrs to 2130hrs
- For further information on shuttle bus services to and from the airport please visit http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/shanghai/transportation/pudong-airport-bus.htm
Getting around Shanghai
Download RTM map
Download Metro Route Map
- Shanghai Public Transport Card (SPTC) is convenient and popular in Shanghai. The card is widely used for payment of local buses, taxis, Metro lines and docks, etc. All taxis must accept payment from these cards, otherwise the rider can refuse to pay.
- You can purchase a SPTC from metro stations, Banks and convenient stores.
- For more information please visit the following link http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/shanghai/transportation/
- Shanghai operates a cheap, efficient and convenient metro system consisting of 11 lines. Line 2 provides access to many of Shanghai's famous attractions and commercial streets, such as Zhongshan Park, Jing'an Temple, West Nanjing Rd., People's Square, East Nanjing Rd., Lujiazui Financial and Trade Zone, Century Park and Zhangjiang High Technology Park, as well as Pudong Airport and Hongqiao Airport.
- For further information on the metro system and to download a metro map please visit http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/shanghai/transportation/subway-line2.htm
- Bus services to SPICT: 22, 37, 135, 330, 868, 921 and 934
- main bus transfer stations Downtown Shanghai
- Shanghai Railway Station, People's Square, Xujiahui, Zhongshan Park Wujiaochang, Shanghai Indoor Stadium and Dongchang Road
- main bus transfer stations for Shanghai Suburbs
- Xinzhuang, Longyang Road and Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park stations
- Ticket prices vary depending on category of bus line, which can be identified by the number bus.
Categories 1,2,3,5,7 and 8 charge CNY1 per person for shorter journeys of up to 8m and CNY1.5 for longer distances.
Categories 4,6, and 9 all charge according to distance with a minimum charge of CNY1
- Expect to pay more for air-conditioned buses.
- There is over 150 taxi companies operating in Shanghai and taxis are relatively cheap
- More popular taxi companies can be identified by the colour of the car.
- Recommended Taxi Booking Numbers
- Dazhong (Sky blue): 021-96822
- Qiangsheng (orange): 021-62580000
- Jinjiang (white): 021-96961
- Bashi (green): 021-96840
- Haibo (sapphire): 021-96965